The Ultimate Guide to Writing an MLA Format Paper: Easy as Essay
Crafting coherent, well-structured, and properly cited papers is an essential skill in maintaining academic integrity and enhancing your scholarly reputation. This guide aims to demystify one of the most universally implemented citation styles - The Modern Language Association (MLA) format.
So, let's delve into the world of MLA citation style to answer your burning questions: How to write an essay in MLA format? What is the MLA format example? What is the MLA format for an essay in a word? How do you format a student paper in MLA? Our comprehensive guide will make crafting an MLA format paper as easy as essay.
Table of Contents
- Understanding MLA: An Introduction
- Deciphering the MLA Format: A Detailed Example
- Formatting Your Essay in Microsoft Word
- Student Paper Formatting in MLA
- Concluding Remarks
Understanding MLA: An Introduction
As per Purdue University's official guidelines, MLA style specifies rules for manuscript formatting and source citation in academic writing. The universal acceptance of MLA citation style makes it invaluable for young scholars and established academicians alike.
Developed by the Modern Language Association, the MLA style provides writers with a structured system for referencing sources, primarily through parenthetical citation. This citation protocol allows the writer to recognize and acknowledge the works, ideas, and theories propounded by other scholars while avoiding plagiarism.
Deciphering the MLA Format: A Detailed Example
To understand what precisely an MLA format stands for, let us examine its anatomy in steps:
- Document Settings: Your document should be typed out on a standard, white 8.5 x 11-inch paper. The document must be in a legible typeface (preferably Times New Roman) in 12 pt. font size.
- Margins and Spacing: Set margins of your document to 1 inch on all sides. The text must be double-spaced throughout the paper.
- Header and Pagination: The upper right-hand corner of each page should contain a header featuring your last name, followed by a single space and the page number.
- Title Block: On the first page, on the upper left-hand corner, list your name, your instructor's name, the course, and the date. All the details must be double-spaced.
- Citations: When referencing a specific idea or statement from an external source, insert a parenthetical citation at the end of the sentence inside the period. This citations should take the format (Author's Last name Page number).
Formatting Your Essay in Microsoft Word
To ease your worries on "What is MLA format for an essay in the word?", Microsoft Word does offer built-in features that can assist in setting up your MLA formatted essay. Here are some steps to format your essay:
- Set the Page margins at '1' on all sides under the 'Layout' tab.
- Under 'Home' tab, change the document's font to Times New Roman and size to '12'.
- To create a header, choose the ‘Insert’ tab and click on 'Page Number'. Customize the alignment to align right.
- Write down the required details on the top left hand corner of your first page and center your essay title.
- Every time you reference a source, insert a parenthetical citation.
Student Paper Formatting in MLA
For a student paper, the formatting rules remain similar, but with the inclusion of two additional components:
- Thesis Statement: It is a clear, concise, one-sentence statement that asserts the central argument or purpose of your essay.
- Works Cited Page: This page, placed at the end of your paper, lists all the external sources you cited in your paper in alphabetical order.
A well-structured and properly cited paper provides the foundation for academic transparency and ingenuity. Recognizing the role of other scholars in shaping your research enhances the vitality of a scholarly community. So, conquer your academic writing fears and embrace the ease of essay crafting through the valuable tool of the MLA format.
Use website like easyessay.ai to draft essay in an easy way and follow this guide to format eassys and you should be ready to go!